Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Avengers

What I'm watching: I have never watched any of the Marvel or DC Comic superhero movies, so this year in 2015 I'm trying to catch up.  Captain America was the first movie I watched, and I loved it.  Last weekend I finished The Hulk and Thor.  I've been telling my students (all boys) about watching the movies.
from: here

Last week I used this article to model questioning and connecting to a piece of nonfiction text.  The boys loved the article and had so much to talk about while we were discussing.  It's about changing famous superheroes

I also created an example one-page-paper to show the boys using that article.


Today I went to school and one of the boys brought in a Marvel book that contained all the different heroes and villains.  I scrapped what I had planned to start the day with and used the book instead.  We compared Patriot to Captain America.  We looked at their costume, charts, stats, strengths, and weaknesses.  Next time I would have the boys make their own individually first, and then come together as a class.



Then I was going to have them write their own stories using a superhero.  Andrew had the awesome idea of randomly opening the page and writing about that person!  I gave them ten minutes.  Isaac wrote a whole story, Joseph wrote from his person's perspective, and Andrew summarized the stats.  I loved that they were writing so diligently for the time given.  I loved that they came up with the idea about how to pick their character.  HERE is the POWER of incorporating what they love into lessons.  

One of the families purchased comic books for the boys to read, but they haven't been using them very much.  I want to figure out how to incorporate them into our classwork.  In Writing Thief, Culham talks about using mentor texts.  She emphasizes they don't have to be the typical novels.  She uses hotel signs, brochures, etc.

I have also thought about having the boys create their own comic book as a project.  Need to think more about that.

How do you tie in connections to your student's interests?

No comments:

Post a Comment