Thursday, January 15, 2015

History Mystery Labs

What we've been doing:  Fall of 2014 I was Twitter stalking a Social Studies teacher who had an amazing picture teaching about the death of Julius Caesar.  She had caution tape sectioning off part of the classroom where she outlined the body with tape on the floor.  The best part is that the whole simulation is about looking at evidence and citing evidence.  Students must use evidence to prove, in this case, who killed Caesar.  I contacted her and she referred me to another teacher Mr. Roughton who loves planning, creating, and implementing these labs.

We are studying medieval times this week, and there was a History Mystery Lab about the cause of the Black Death.  I put more caution tape up on the classroom door and a sign that said "BEWARE."  I had CSI crime scene music playing as well.  I also recorded my voice and changed it to sound like someone else.  I told the boys I had a voice mail from the FBI asking for their help.  Here are my reflections about how I could have done this in an even more interactive way.


I wanted to find a costume and look like the doctors did back then.  I would need a big black cape, some goggles, and a big beak for my nose.  This would have tied the activity more into the past.  Or I could have had a guest come and dress in that costume and emerge when we were discussing that piece of evidence.  I could also have dressed up as a real FBI agent with a jacket, name badge, and heels.  That would have sold the premise a little better.

I also should have gotten a big manila envelope and marked it with TOP SECRET stamp.  I could have pulled the evidence we looked at out of the envelope.  Or the boys could have pulled it out of the envelope themselves.

Here's the link to my post about the original lab I did with the boys.  Much more decorated and authentic than this one.

This blog post is all about how to create simulations.

Here's the list of all of Mr. Roughton's History Mystery Labs.

This is a list of other activities he calls Choose Your Own Adventure.

Now I need to try and create my own simulation activity.  Time to dream big and teach like a pirate.

No comments:

Post a Comment