Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Week 28

What we've been doing:  Last week we finished book #33 for I, #31 for A, and #29 for J.  The boys made Mesoamerican masks.  We celebrated St. Patrick's Day.  We laughed and failed.  It was a lovely week.

Tuesday, we celebrated St. Patrick's Day.  We had a writing contest, and a costume contest.  I told the boys to wear their best green outfit, and they really wowed me.  J came in with a straw hat, a broom stick, and a plastic container of yellow Legos for his "gold."  My mom sent me these awesome green mustaches for the boys and I to wear.  It was a fun way to celebrate the day.





Tuesday I also said goodbye to Librada, one of the maid's that worked at Rosa's house.  She was the person I was closest to at Rosa's house.  She would make me a sweet treat some afternoons while I continued working after school, or she would just sit and talk with me during lunch sometimes.  There was one day in the fall when I was really sad and missing home.  She was the only one that asked me what was wrong.  I took this picture with her on her last day.


We also made Mesoamerican masks to finish up our unit on Aztecs, Incans, and Mayans.  It was a way to connect art with history.  I wish I had the time and resources to do more art with the boys, but I just need to figure out more ways to connect it to the rest of our studies.




There's a quote I love that goes something like this...

"If you haven't failed at anything in the classroom in the past few weeks, then are you really taking any risks worth taking while teaching?"

This week I found this amazing Bible idea about Acts 1-2.  I found it here from this blog.  Watching money catch on fire, but not burn?  The boys would love it!!  The only problem?  We couldn't find 91% alcohol, and I didn't have a dollar bill.  So we used 70% alcohol and a Dominican peso.  Needless to say, the experiment/demonstration flopped.  The best part?  The boys still loved it.  Isaac was taking pictures and Andrew was filming.  Better to take a risk and try something new than to never try at all.






I also splurged and got these cute shoes!  I don't own any close-toed shoes in this country, so I figured it was time to get a pair.  Even though the weather is starting to heat up...  Plus they were less than ten bucks.


Week 29 is only a two day week for me since I leave for Costa Rica tomorrow.  I am super excited to rest and relax and take a little break from teaching.  I will still be planning like crazy while I'm there, but it won't be as stressful.  Let's just pray the boys are productive while I'm gone since I'm leaving them with work to do.  Prayers for a safe trip would be much appreciated.

Con mucho amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment