Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Creative Math

What the boys have been making:  My goal for math this year has been to include more projects and note taking so the boys are not simply on the computer doing the Teaching Textbooks program every day.  Here are the last of the projects we did in math for the year.  Unfortunately, we will not have time to do any special final math project.  I hoped to have them math a math dictionary, but there are other ways I want to spend our last four days together.

Math secret code coordinate graphs - We were learning about coordinate planes.  I found a great website that had a secret drawing.  The boys had to follow the coordinates and connect it together to see the image.  This forced them to learn the true importance of whether x or y comes first.  :)  Then I had them make their own and swap with a classmate.  It was interesting to see what secret drawings they came up with.


Stem and leaf plot projects - We studied different ways to display data.  If there had been more time, I would have loved to have the boys pose a question and ask people to gather data.  However, I gave them a list of data points that they had to creatively express in a stem and leaf plot.  They also had to find the median, mode, range, and mean of the data.  I thought it was so neat they took the assignment and ran with it.  I hadn't even thought of making a tree instead of a flower.


I still cannot believe I am almost done with my second year of teaching.  How are you finishing up? 

Con mucho amor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment