Saturday, August 30, 2014

Hola from the DR

What I've been doing:  I've been in the DR for over two weeks.  It has been a whirlwind of Spanish, English, lesson planning, organizing, and setting up my classroom and bedroom, and getting my feet under me.

Week 1: Leaving PDX made me sad, and I had a long day of traveling ahead of me.  God always seems to send the right people into my life when I need them.  On my first flight I couldn't lift my carry on into the container, so my nice seatmate helped me.  On my flight from Salt Lake to NYC, I met the nicest ladies, Colleen and Michelle.  They told me about their trip to Ireland, their families, and Colleen had actually been to the DR before.  We had a bit of a layover, so they invited me to go to the Delta Sky Lounge with them.  I ran off before I could exchange contact information with them, but they were so sweet to take me under their wing.




After a long day of traveling, I finally arrived to the DR at 3:30am on Wednesday, August 13th.  Joy, Rosa, and their husbands picked me up from the airport and brought me to my apartment.  Amanda, my roommate, greeted us at the door.  Everyone left to go home and sleep for a few hours before the day would begin.  Amanda offered me her fan to sleep with for the night.  I told her no because I was so tired.  After she closed her door I desperately wished that I had taken her up on the offer.  I tossed and turned until finally I crashed.

After a few hours of sleep, I woke up and unpacked my clothes.  Here are some pictures of cutest apartment.






Amanda came home for lunch and we went to her friend Mariu's house for rice, beans, and platanos.  Those first days Joy, Rosa, and I spent hours shopping and setting up the classroom.  I decided to have it painted blue.  I hung up my decorations, and we put everything together.  I'll post pictures of my classroom soon.

That first Saturday there was a missionary team visiting the DR helping out New Hope.  I rode with Amanda, Mariu, and Mariu's son to the beach.  We met up with the team of 25 from the US.  Soon, 30 little girls came rushing at us.  For most of the girls at New Hope it was their first time at the beach.  They have lived in the DR for their whole lives, but they never have seen the beach before.  Most of them hardly leave the barrio (neighborhood/slum name in the DR).  One little girl clung to me all day in the water.  Luckily, there were almost no waves, and everyone splashed about together.




Sunday I went to church with Amanda's friend Megan.  Amanda helped bring the team back to the airport.  Church was all in Spanish, and I felt like I understood 95% of what the pastor was saying.  This was SO reassuring since I felt like I could not understand the Spanish of the Dominicans.

Monday was the first day of school.  I was so nervous, but we played a get-to-know-you Yahtzee game to start the day.  We did some math, reading, goal setting, and world history.  They are wonderful boys who stated how excited they were for the year.  That night Amanda and I got celebratory Yogenfruz.



Week 2: Teaching all these new subjects is challenging.  I felt like I was only a step or two ahead of the boys each day.  I had to review math concepts, and keep up with the chapter books we are reading.  I hadn't even added Sociales (History in Spanish), or the Spanish class into the mix yet.  I spend all evening, every evening planning and reading.

On Friday night Amanda and I went over to Mariu's house and made pizza.  We watched Rio 2 while eating popcorn.  It was the perfect evening.  Saturday I hung out in the apartment all day reading the books I am teaching.  At night I watched The Vow by myself curled up on the couch.  It felt really nice to be able to rest, relax, and sleep.  Sunday a group of us went to church again.  After church we ate lunch at a little restaurant nearby.

Daily Life: Each day I ride with Amanda to Joy's house, and then they take me to Rosa's.  After school someone brings me back home, but it's challenging being so dependent on others.  I am used to being independent.  In the evenings I lesson plan and read at home.  

One of my favorite things in the apartment are these chinola popsicles.  It is SO hot here, and these cool me down.  My other favorite thing is my fan.  I told Amanda if the place was burning down that it would be the first thing I grab.  She said, no you'd grab your keys since we have four locks to get out of the place.  :)

I'm also obsessed with sunsets.  Every night I sit on my couch and watch God paint the sky in brilliant colors.

It can be a little lonely at times here in the DR.  I am used to having people around me all the time.  I'm used to being able to call or text family and friends whenever I want to do something or hang out.  Here, I am still trying to make friends.  I keep praying that God will put the right people in my life here.


From: here

Con mucho amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment