Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Lessons from the manger PART I: Do not fear

What I've been reading: This year I have been art journaling with the boys for Bible class.  This week I am studying the story of the birth of Jesus.  Different themes and lessons kept popping out at me, so I decided to create a mini "Lessons for the Manger" blog series over the next two weeks.

I've been feeling convicted lately about the meaning of Christmas.  Too often we focus on Santa, on the perfect Christmas decorations, on buying the best and most expensive presents for everyone.  This Christmas season I want to remember and focus on Jesus and the incredible God who sent Him to earth.

One of the first things I noticed while reading the story was how many times the phrase "DO NOT FEAR" appears in this Bible story.  An angel told Joseph to not fear, an angel to Mary to not fear, angels told the shepherds to not fear, an angel told Zacharias not to fear, and although the Bible doesn't mention this, I bet someone had to tell the wise men not to fear, also.

Our world is filled with so much sadness.  I see posts daily about war, shootings, and death.  Sometimes I am so filled with fear about traveling back to the US.  I get worried about a terrorist attack or a mass shooting.  I worry about my future.  Where will I work next year?  Where will I be living next year?  When will I meet my husband?  Reading these verses fills me with peace.  There are troubles in the world, but God has overcome them.  The angels remind me: DO NOT FEAR.


And the angel said unto them, fear not; for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. Luke 2:10 

But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the LORD appeared to him in a dream, saying, Joseph, fear not to take Mary as thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. Matthew 1:20 

And the angel said to her, "Fear not, Mary, for though has found favor with God." Luke 1:30 

Another thing I noticed while I was reading the Bible story was how intertwined and connected the birth of Jesus and the birth of John the Baptist were.  Elizabeth was also miraculously filled with a child, just like Mary.  Mary had this wonderful friendship with Elizabeth (to be expanded on in Part IV of the Lessons from the Manger series).  There are many similarities between the two families.  Elizabeth's husband, Zacharias, also had to be told those two words: FEAR NOT

But the angel said unto him, "Fear not Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shall call his name John." Luke 1:13 

Today we can step out in confidence and be filled with God's amazing peace.  No matter what is going on in our lives, Jesus fills us with peace.  We do not need to be full of fear.

For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship.  And by him we cry, Abba.  Father.  Romans 8:15

Con mucho amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment