Thursday, December 3, 2015

The time I felt muy Dominicana

What I've been doing: Last week I took a moto (short for motorcycle) home.  I arrived at the area where the motos congregate, and there was only one left.  I hopped on the back and told him where I lived.  He was super polite, and he was a careful driver.  When he dropped me off, he asked if I had a moto de confianza, or a motorcycle driver that I trust and use frequently.  I said no, and he told me to put his number in my phone.

Rosa's chauffeur is named Pedro.  He drives us around for our field trips.  Last year I had a taxi driver, and his name is Pedro.  I figured it was a good sign that this moto driver's name is also Pedro.  God continually sends the right people in my life to protect and watch out for me.

This week I was heading to dinner with some friends.  I had just payed an insane amount of money for a taxi home from the store ($450 RD or $10), and I was running late.  I didn't have time to walk and catch a public car ($20 RD or $0.44 US).  So I called Pedro the moto driver.  He remembered exactly where I lived and actually showed up in 5 minutes when he said he would.  Typically when a taxi driver or moto says 5 minutes, it is a Dominincan 5 minutes.  AKA they show up in 15.

Since I was going out to dinner I wore my wedges and got on back of the moto.  As we were riding down 27 de Febrero (one of the main streets by my house), a guy that worked for a family I knew last year rolled down his window to say hello.  I was on back of the moto and he was in the car next to us, and we were having a conversation.

I felt so Dominican, on the back of the moto, all dressed up, having a conversation with a Dominican driver.

The best part?  It cost me $50 pesos or $1 US to get from my apartment to the restaurant.
 
It is crazy how much this country feels like home now.  It is crazy how much I have grown in my time here.  Last year I never took motos and public cars, but this year I do (only when it's light out and safe mom - don't worry!).  God continually pushes me outside of my comfort zone.  He is protecting me and watching over me.  I also lean into Him much more, constantly praying when I am out on the streets.

"But the LORD is faithful.  He will establish and guard you against the evil one."  2 Thessalonians 3:3

Con mucho amor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment