Monday, December 14, 2015

Lessons from the manger PART II: Worship

What I've been learning: Last year I never got sick.  This year there have been many days when I've had a runny nose, or a cough.  Wednesday through Friday of last week was the worst yet.  I was having so many stomach pains and issues eating.  On Friday we went to Yve's school to have our Christmas party.  I threw up while we were there.  The only thing I had eaten was soda crackers.  I had to leave early.

I was curled up in a tiny ball in my bed, wondering how and if I should take a trip to the hospital.  The thought of sitting in a waiting room with the stomach pains sounded awful and miserable.  One of my friends suggested I take parasite medicine.  When I looked up the symptoms of parasites, I assumed she was right.  I went next door to the pharmacy and bought the two pills.

The rest of Friday was spent sleeping in bed.  I was upset.  Why did I get parasites during the busiest time of the year?  I had to miss out on the fun activities at Yve's school.  I made plans over the weekend to host various Christmas functions.  I couldn't eat any of the sweet treats.  I had hardly any energy.  But as I lay in bed, I had a little revelation:

I was learning to praise and worship God even when my circumstances sang a different song.  

I plugged through the activities of the weekend.  Saturday afternoon girls from the youth group at church came over for a tarde de chicas.  Sunday we took our watchie out to lunch and then had one of Christin's friends over for pizza dinner.  Even though I was tired, we prayed and talked and God's name was glorified.

The story of the birth of Jesus is full of examples of people worshiping.  I imagine that the shepherds and wisemen were probably rather tired from making the journey to find Jesus, but they praised Him.  They praised Him with GREAT JOY.  They presented Him with gifts.  They gave Jesus all they had.  This holiday season, are you giving with all you have?  Even when it's inconvenient or challenging, people are watching.

When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.  And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshiped him: and when they had opened their treasured, they presented him with gifts. Matthew 2:10-11 

And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them. Luke 2:20 

It is easier to worship with others.  Christin helped so much this weekend.  She cleaned the apartment, and she got up early to mop.  She helped make the food and was such a positive light, just like the group of angels.

Luke 2:13-14 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of heavenly host praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

Take these next few weeks to share the reason we celebrate.  Pray with someone you've never prayed with before.  Take time at Christmas dinner to actually read the Bible story.  Spread joy to a neighbor that needs it.  What song are you singing this Christmas season?  Make sure it's one that glorifies Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment