Friday, January 15, 2016

Leave it all

What I've been reading:  Moving to another country.  Flying away from family and friends.  Being surrounded by another language, and culture.  Serving God.  Stepping out.  Slipping away from the comfortable life in the United States.  Leaving it all and trusting God to catch us.


I have never connected with a character in a book more than Katie Davis in Kisses from Katie.  The coolest part?  She wasn't a random character in a novel.  She is a real woman with a real story.

Kisses from Katie is a book about the life of the 20-something woman living in Uganda.  She adopted over 12 girls in Africa.  She has changed and transformed communities; Jesus is using her to bring the Ugandans closer to Him.

As I dove deeper into her story, I noticed so many similarities in our lives.  This book inspired me to step out even more from my comfort zone here in the Dominican Republic.  She encourages readers to give it all away.  She explains how we are not supposed to live a life of comfort.

"I believe that God totally, absolutely, intentionally gives us more than we can handle.  Because this is when we surrender to Him and He takes over, proving Himself by doing the impossible in our lives" (135). 

I have firmly believed that in my journey in life, God has not called me to live a life of comfort.  He constantly calls us out into the unknown.  I get to see Him work so much more.  At Bible study on Monday we were talking about how people will see us as the crazy ones for our faith.

He told the disciples to leave everything and follow Him.  That's a pretty crazy idea.  Are we doing that in our everyday lives?


I read this book over Christmas break when I was in Oregon with my family.  Life in the US is so easy.  I have friends, family, a car...  I never have to worry about my safety, about being robbed or attacked.  I never have to worry about how I am going to make it to the store, and if I have exact change to pay the taxi driver.  Katie reflected on being back in the US after being in Uganda for so long.

"I 'miss' Jesus [when I am in the US].  He hasn't disappeared, of course, but I feel so far from Him because my life is actually functioning without Him" (121).  

"Sometimes I felt it easier to cling to Jesus in that state of having nothing than it was to cling to Him while surrounded by the abundance of America" (132).

Those words touched and spoke to my soul.

Over winter break I opened my Bible twice.  I never once wrote in my prayer journal while I was in Oregon.  I had maybe two conversations about Jesus when I was back there.  In the DR I crave communicating with God in my prayer journal.  I spend time with Jesus in the word because my life would not function without it.  My conversations constantly talk about all the BIG things God is doing in my life here in the DR because I constantly rely on Him.  

Katie cries out, "I want big things from God!" (153) 

How often that has been my cry, as well.  Let that be our cry in 2016.  We wait expectantly for you, Lord.


Con mucho amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment