Monday, January 25, 2016

Bible journaling

What I've been creating: I love art journaling.  That's the main reason I started this blog way back in 2011 (first blog post ever can be found here).  Through Instagram I discovered the #biblejournaling feed and #illustratedfaith feed.  Many people around the world are turning to Bible journaling to connect with God.

I was fascinated with the idea.  At first it seemed weird to cover over the words in my Bible, but then I realized what an amazing way it was to talk to our Heavenly Father.  I love being creative, and I truly believe it is one of my gifts.  It has already helped me memorize scripture and get excited about opening my Bible.  I really have to think about how to represent a particular verse or passage; it forces me to slow down and actually spend devoted time with the Lord.

On my first page  I was messing around with my watercolor markers and my new stamps that Christin got me for Christmas.  I opened my Bible to the page that had the bookmark and decided to begin there.


The second page I created has these wings.  It is smaller and does not fill the full two-page spread.  It's simple and really highlights the verse: "Let me take refuge under the shelter of Your wings!" Psalm 61:4


I am so inspired by the sunrises and sunsets that I see on the roof.  I have always had the desire to paint them, and what better place than my Bible.  This is my favorite page I have created so far.  I love the mountains and the colors of the sunset/sunrise.  God uses nature to speak to me and fill me with His peace.


This past Sunday at church the theme of the message was Quien soy? or Who am I?  Pastor John read most of Romans 8, which I turned into this...  I used some new washi tape that mom got me for Christmas.  I included English and Spanish notes, and used my watercolor markers to highlight especially important passages from the text.  It is one of the simpler pages, but I love that it doesn't need to be extravagant.


"The Spirit helps us in our weakness." Romans 8:26

"For in this HOPE we are saved." Romans 8:24

Over the past week I wanted to try something new with the boys during Bible class.  We all read the same Bible passage (Isaac chose Genesis 19) and journaled/illustrated what we learned from the passage.  Genesis 19 is the story of when God destroys Sodom and Lot's wife turns to sand.

This passage made me really think about why are sad and strange stories in the Bible.  Isaac mentioned that life doesn't always have a happy ending, and neither does this chapter of the Bible.  It also showed me how we need to surround ourselves with people who will bring us closer to God.  We need to be alert and look forward toward the future, not behind us like Lot's wife.


The story of Mary and Martha is very convicting to me.  I saw someone else create an incredible illustration from this passage.  She used the whole margin, but I wanted to try something new with the paper flap.  On the backside of the flap I stamped "Are you Mary or Martha?"  I am still trying to figure out how to easily flip the flap, because right now the tape impedes it a little bit.



God has already taught me so much through this way of connecting with Him.  It allows me to slow down and rest in His truth and His promises.  I cannot wait to continue creating.

Con mucho amor.

1 comment:

  1. Love this... and you! (And gotta get you to tell me again which Bible edition this is that has so much space!)

    ReplyDelete