Friday, November 20, 2015

What to do with 20 Rice Krispies...

What God has been doing: Every Thursday I go to a girl's home in Santiago with Amanda, Christin, and Heather.  It is always one of my favorite parts of the week.  This week Amanda was picking her parents up from the airport, Christin had a choir concert, and Heather had a meeting.

I was slightly anxious about going by myself because the girls can be a little crazy sometimes.  Normally if only one of us can go, we cancel it.  Next week is Thanksgiving so we won't be there; I did not want to cancel this Thursday with the girls.

I prepared all week, making a giant poster of the Grinch to use with pin the heart on the Grinch.  I made a little green hand/paint craft, and I made Grinch-colored Rice Krispies.

An hour before I was getting ready to leave, Christin realized her choir concert was cancelled.  Inwardly, I thanked God.  He wasn't sending me alone.

He began to send them out in pairs. - Mark 6:7

As 7pm rolled near, we packed up the materials and called the taxi.  We arrived at the girl's home and paid for the ride, and the driver left.  Then, I looked at the home.

It was all dark.

There were no lights on inside.  

I was angry.  I spent all this time preparing, all this money, and work, and no one even thought to tell us the girls were going to be gone this Thursday night.

Then, relief washed over me.  I had Christin right beside me.  I could be standing  here in the dark and rain and cold all by myself.  God didn't send me alone, He had this planned all along.

The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.  - Proverbs 16:9 

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose. 
- Romans 8:28

Christin called a taxi.  As we waited, we planned our evening.  We would go to the supermarket and get ice cream.  We would relax and watch Netflix.  It sounded like the perfect way to spend the night.  But then I looked down in my hands.  I spent so much time preparing and making the Rice Krispies.  What was I supposed to do with them?

I decided to give them away as we made our way home.  We gave some to the taxi driver.  We stopped at the colmado (small store where we buy water, rice, and bananas) and gave some to the guys that work there.  We gave some to our watchie, Leoned.  When we arrived home, we had a couple left for us.  I felt like Santa, giving little Christmas gifts/blessings.  It is my sincere prayer that Avenida 9 is a place transformed by God.  I pray that God is using me to show His love to the people.

God is able to make every blessing of yours overflow for you, so that in every situation you will always have all you need for any good work. - 2 Corinthians 9:8

It made me think about how God knew everything that was going to happen.  He knew that I needed a friend with me when the girls weren't at the home.  I'm also confident He used the little treat to bless the lives of the people who ate them.  It makes me happy that I don't have to worry about the next step in my future.  God has it under control.  I have no idea where I am going to be working and living after June 2016.  Although I wonder daily when God will reveal His plans for my future, for next year, I know He knows what I need to know and when I need to know it.

I also got to share the story with the boys this morning.  They asked if they were going to be blessed by Rice Krispies also... I quickly reminded them they are blessed in many other ways.


It's amazing what God can do with 20 Rice Krispies... and our futures.

Con mucho amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment