Wednesday, November 18, 2015

When ART and SCIENCE collide

What we're creating: I found this blog on Pinterest showing how to create watercolor rocks.  I loved the idea and knew it would be the perfect way to end our rock and mineral unit.  We watched this short video on geodes, and we looked at various pictures for examples.  It was so fun to watch the boys create these pieces of art.  They especially loved using salt and watercolors together.  I would have loved to have real examples of geodes, or have a geode that we could bust open together.


Here are the examples I made.  I kind of want to get cheap frames for them in the US when I am back in December.  They would be cute to hang.  Maybe I will bring them back with me to Oregon and put them above my dresser in my bedroom there.


Here are the boy's paintings.



At the end of the year I want to do a mini Reyes Academy art show.  We learned about an artist statement, and they wrote one for the "Scream" painting they did on Halloween.  They will also write one for these watercolors.  It is a great way to combine art, science, and writing.

Con mucho amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment