Friday, September 14, 2012

What I'm doing: Tomorrow is Costa Rica's independence day! We have been busy this week learning about it. They celebrate the day before the 15th with a parade of faroles in the nighttime. Faroles are lanterns. Hundreds of years ago Guatemala was the captial of Central America. They found out they were independent from Spain on September 15th. They news took a month to travel to Costa Rica because CR was more remote. The news traveled by donkey all the way here. Costa Rica did not know they were independent until October 29th. At the moment there is a debate going on to see if they should change their independence day to the 29th of October. But anyways, the night of the 14th there is a parade of faroles. Earlier this week we went to a school and helped kids make their own "lantern."
We took soda pop bottles and cut them in half. They painted the inside gold and cut the "fire" out of colored paper. We added a ribbon in the colors of the Costa Rican flag.

Kristin and I were helping a table of 3 boys. One of the kids, Sebastian, was talking to us a little bit. I found out he likes all the colors of the rainbow and also likes Winnie the Pooh. The little boy to my left, however, refused to talk to me. Which was actually pretty funny. He was still a cutie, though.
After making the faroles we all sat in the middle. My Spanish teacher started talking and introduced me and then said that I was going to teach the group a song.... She did not warn me of this beforehand. I stood up and looked at her. She motioned that I could do head, shoulders, knees and toes. We taught it to them in English.

Here's our whole group with the little ones. :)

Last night I went to something called Pizza Attack. I paid $8 for all you can eat pizza and pop. It was my first time eating pizza in Costa Rica, and it was SO good. Pizza Hut is not the same as Bellagios, but it was pretty close. :) One of my host brother's friends came with us. We took a bus to get to the city and met my host brother there. It was my first time on a bus and I was very, very nervous! It was a short 15 minute ride.
I had 6 slices of pizza, Manfred had 9 and my host brother, Juan Manuel had 12! We were talking to the lady who works there and she said that one time a guy ate over 40 slices of pizza....SO GROSS. I did not even think that was humanly possible. We were the only ones eating there, which was surprising. They had chairs outside on a covered patio area. It was not like a typical pizza place in the US.

After pizza attack, I helped out with my second English class at the church. There were more people this time, including a family of Nicaraguans who did not know any English. My host brother is the one who teaches it. He is good at thinking on his feet. He put them in separate group and worked with them on house vocabulary while I helped the main group with describing their home and their ideal place to live. I am starting to get to know a few of them, and it is so rewarding. We dropped a girl off at her house again, only this time I remembered to bring my camera.

It is my very favorite view of the city. It makes me feel so small looking over all of the lights.

What I'm reading: Some of my favorite quotes that are very applicable to my journey right now. :)

There will always be a reason why you meet people. Either you need them to change your life, or you’re the one that will change theirs.
Refuse to be content with just the knowledge of God, but insist on experiencing His presence. -Kerri Weems
Lord, I am stepping out of my comfort zone. Letting go of me, and holding on to You.
"No busques personas con tus mismos gustos, busques personas con tus mismos valores." (translated: Do not look for people with your same interests, look for people with your same values.)
My plans for this weekend? Fri: antorcha, parade of faroles, Bocaditos Sat: independence day parade Sun: beach bound! Oh and trying to get my homework done sometime too... :) Every single day I am here, I am beyond amazed. I feel like I am learning so much about myself and a totally different culture.

Con mucho amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment