Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Caribbean College

What I'm doing: Here is a recap from the fieldtrip this weekend! It's going to be a long post, but I hope you all enjoy it. :)

Day 1: Thursday, September 27

We made many stops along the way to the Caribbean, which was very nice. It broke up the long trip. We stopped by a national park, and we talked about the impact roads have on the environment. We also stopped  by an "aquifiro" which is a water source for communities. We got to see the cutest baby cow while we were there! It had been born that morning, and it was adorable. We ate yummy lunch and started to realize how hot the Caribbean was going to be....

We are learning about the railroad, and we got to see the tracks and talk about the communities and slaves that worked near the railroad.



Our program director had told us that our hotel was going to be "ugly," and I believed her until we pulled up to the most beautiful paradise! There were palm trees everywhere, and the most beautiful view of the ocean! I was in heaven. We also had a pool that we were able to play in for awhile. There's our ecology professor in the background at the pool with us. It is funny how close you get with your professors when they are traveling and spending lots of time with you!

Before dinner we had a dance class that was really fun. I have not sweated that much from dancing in a long time, but I loved it. We did more Caribbean style dancing, that has some African influences as well. Afterwards we ate dinner, and it was really fun to get the opportunity to talk to different people than I normally do here in Costa Rica.

Day 2: Friday, September 28

We got to sleep in till 7am on Friday! It was crazy. :) We ate breakfast and had a talk by one of our director's teachers. He told us all about the culture of the Caribbean. He said they are the spice of the country. There are lots of black people in the Caribbean who came over from the islands nearby to help build the railroad many years ago.

After that we went to the town of Limon. We walked around and saw the ocean up close, and we saw the giant concrete Catholic church. It is interesting because in Limon they are much less focused on the religion aspect, and more focused on the spiritual relationship. We ate lunch and I tried this icky ginger juice that I did not like at all. We also learned about this building that was created to help the African Americans in the area.




We also got to visit a banana plantation which was SO neat to learn about! The bananas can only be out in the open for less than 5 hours. From the tree to the United States it takes less than 48 hours. We don't know why it takes mail so much longer. :) These strong guy put the huge things of bananas onto a wire contraption and pull the wire thing with 20+ bunches of bananas back to the factory place. They get rid of the bad ones and package the good ones. It was incredible to watch. We weren't supposed to take pictures, but I snuck one on the bus before we left.

We arrived in Puerto Viejo and it was pouring down rain. Chandler, Kristin and I had the cutest little bungalow that we stayed in! It was adorable. We walked into town that evening and did some shopping. I got a cute bag that says "Costa Rica, Pura Vida" in beaded letters. I also started getting some gifts for people.


We ate dinner at an adorable italian place, and we shared a yummy pizza!

That night we were finding lots of large bugs in our cute bungalow, so Kristin, Chandler and I all slept in a full size bed together. We thought the more people in bed, the safer we were. :) It was cozy and funny. We talked for awhile before falling asleep. I am so thankful that I have amazing friends with me in Costa Rica!

Day 3: Saturday, September 29

This was one of my favorite days in Costa Rica because we went to an indigenous community! They live in Bambu, and the people are called the Bribris. It was amazing to see they way they live, and their ideas about life. They make money by bringing in tourists. You can sleep in one of these huts, and eat their food and go on hikes. My ecology teacher says he does not know if it is just how they get tourists, by acting very "green" and "native," but I would like to think they genuinely like to live life this way.


We walked to a nearby river. The river that borders Costa Rica and Panama! It was really pretty there.


We also got to meet the medicine man for the community. We went into his hut and he talked to us about what he does. We also did a song and learned about the symbolism of the hut. There is always a fire going in the center, which represents the beginning of the world. After we left there was a couple who came from many miles away to meet with him and see if the wife could be healed.

After we left that community, we went to the last place we were going to stay the night in Cauhita. It is a beautiful little beach town!! We walked into town for dinner. I finally got to eat shrimp! I figured it was appropriate since we were so close to the coast. :) There were many drunk scrubby looking African Americans in this city, and one of my friends said it reminded her of Priates of the Caribbean, which I thought was really funny.


Day 4: Sunday, September 30

We got up bright and early to go snorkeling! I am not the biggest fan of putting my face in the water, but I knew I wanted to experience it in the Caribbean on this field trip! We took a boat off the coast in Cauhita. Chandler is afriad of fish, but I told her that we were going to conquer our fears on this trip. We held hands the whole time, but it made me feel better. The snorkeling was different from other places I have been too. The water was less clear and there were not as many fish, but it was still beautiful. My favorite were these little bright blue fish. Chandler and I were in the water for around 35 minutes, and then we got out. I was still excited that we both did it though!


After the boat ride, we hiked through the forest to get back to the hotel. That hike was where I saw all of the amazing animals. We saw monkeys, raccoons, insects, sloths...SO many beautiful animals that I have never seen in the wild before. I felt like I was walking through a zoo! We had to cross several rivers, which we were not expecting. I finally gave up on trying to put my yoga pants back on after crossing, so I was just walking around with my swimsuit bottoms on. Not the most comfortable, but it was way less of a hassle.

I had to go to the bathroom, and we found one on the way. Luckily Sandy had some tissue that I could use. :) Sandy works for the International Programs Office at my college. She gets to travel to all the different programs to see how they are doing. She had not came to Costa Rica in over 5 years, because normally there are no problems with the program. She does not have to check in on it as much as some of the others. She is one of the sweetest ladies I know. It is funny because she is married to my boss at college! I work in the library, and he works there too. 



We made it back to the hotel, rinsed off and went to eat lunch. After that we had a lonnnnng bus ride ahead of us: 5 hours. Kristin and I watched a movie on her iPad and I talked with my friends. I took a hour long nap, also. I was very happy to arrive back home in San Ramon, though!

No field trips this weekend, but we are going to Manuel Antonio, a beach on the Pacific side. I really want to go parasailing when I am there! And hike around the forest. :)

Con mucho amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment