Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Earthquake #4

What I'm doing: Last night there was another earthquake... It was almost as strong as the first one on September 5th. It was the fourth earthquake that I have felt since I've been here. Is it weird that I am getting used to earthquakes?

Last night Mariah, Sydney, Sarah and I went over to the church for dinner. The pastor, Jonathan, his wife, Tina, and his family had to move into the church after the big earthquake because their house kind of fell apart. There is a little apartment area over the church, so it works out perfectly. They have 4 wonderful daughters who range from 16 years old to 6 years old. We ate chili for dinner, which was soo yummy. In the middle of the meal, the floor started to shake. Tina was yelling, there's an earthquake. We all went outside. It was super long, and for one point I thought I was going to fall over when we were walking. After the shaking stopped, we all went back in and finished dinner. Both my host brother AND sister texted me to see how I was doing.

We had ice cream and cookies for dessert. Jonathan went to play futbol, so all of us girls cuddled on the couch and watched How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. It was such a perfect evening to talk and get to know them. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful church family. I feel so welcomed and I know that I can go to them for anything I need!

It was an interesting coinsidence because earlier that day Juan Manuel saw a cockroach. We had seen 2 cockroaches on Saturday night. He told me, "Are you scared of earthquakes?" And I told him only sometimes if they are really strong. He said his Grandma used to say that when the cockroaches came out, that was a sign that an earthquake would happen. And then it did that very evening...very strange.

Last night I kept waking up while I was trying to sleep, thinking there were aftershocks. All the time I feel like the ground is shaking, which probably is not a good thing. But friends and family, know that all of the time I am safe. I have so many people looking out for me, so there is NEVER any need to worry (especially you, Mom). :)

Con mucho amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment