Tuesday, July 15, 2014

English Teacher Blogs: Part I

What I'm reading:  Recently on Twitter someone asked me what English teacher blogs I read and follow for ideas.  I decided it would be a good idea to simply type up a list of some of my favorites.  These are in no particular order, but I did put a little * next to the ones you'll need extra time to scan through. :)

  • Teaching Teens in the 21st: This blog is written by an 8th grade Language Arts teacher.  I came across this article about her interactions with Kelly Gallagher.  He is one of my favorite educational authors, so I knew I would love reading her ideas. 
  • *The Creativity Core: This blog is written by AP Language and Creative Writing teacher.  He popped up on my Pinterest page, and I read some of his blogs about mind mapping that blew my mind.  I LOVE combining art and creativity in the classroom.
  • Teachers in Tiaras: Tumbler full of ideas for the classroom. 
  • *Secondary Solutions: This blog is written by a middle/high school English Language Arts teacher and has a TON of ideas and posts.  This post about low tech, high visual lessons is similar to the mind mapping idea that I love.  This post is a little inspiration for when teaching feels impossible.  This post that lists a few student apps that work well in education.  This post about how to take notes in your books without making the librarian mad.  This post with tips for new teachers.  Basically, save a few hours for diving into this website.  
  • Teaching like it's 2999: This website is not written specifically by an English teacher, but she is a technology guru.  I am trying to learn how to incorporate technology in my classroom, so this blog has many ideas for teachers and schools.  
  • The Middle School Mouth: This blogger teaches 7th grade LA and Science.  Although it has not been updated too recently, there is still a wealth of ideas to dig through. 
  • *Laura Randazzo: The headline of her website reads "On a mission to prevent English teacher burnout."  She has a million ideas and resources for teachers to browse.  Here are some creative writing ideas.  Here are a couple fun and creative writing ideas to accompany a literature novel unit.  Here is a classroom management tool that she uses.  This post is all about adding music to the classroom, which I love.  :) 
  • The Readiness is All : This blog is written by a high school English teacher.  Lots of thoughts, opinions, and ideas on all things education and English related.  He's been blogging since October 2012 so there is a lot to look at on his blog. 
  • Teach it Write: Middle/high school English Language Arts blog ideas. She incorporates CCSS and interactive lessons to share with students. 
  • The English Teacher Files: Another blog full of ideas.  This post about how 70-page spirals saved her life in teaching has a good system for the classroom.  Here is an in depth article about classroom procedures.  
Tomorrow I'll post some more of my favorite English teacher blogs.  Sometimes I wonder what teachers did before the world wide web.  

No comments:

Post a Comment