Tuesday, July 15, 2014

English Teacher Blogs: Part II

What I'm reading:  I needed to find some more time to type up the rest of the English teacher blogs I love.  Basically, we were leaving for Trivia Tuesday and my mom yelled at me to get off the computer.  Even though I've graduated from college, still have to listen to my parents since I'm under their roof.  And everyone and their mother thinks I look like I am 16.  Here's the second part of the list.  Again, the sites are not in any particular order, but the ones that have many resources I love have a * next to them.  :)

  • Confessions of a Middle School English Teacher: This blog is more about comical stories from a middle school teacher, not as many teaching ideas.  This funny post about how handwriting matters made me chuckle. And this post about his students trying to set him up.  Oh how I've been in his shoes.  
  • So, will this be graded? What a perfect name for a blog.  If only I had a quarter for every time a student asked me this.  Another witty blog with ramblings and stories from the crazy mouths of middle schoolers.  
  • Huffenglish: This website has a wealth of information and ideas about English education and technology.  Dana Huff has so many ideas and a long list of other bloggers she follows.  Such a great resource.  She has been blogging for 9 years...yes, you read that correctly.  NINE YEARS!  This article is about Project: Utopia that she did with her students. Interesting idea about using digital portfolios in class.  She has lots of resources for teaching Shakespeare.  Here is another article she wrote about teaching Shakespeare.  This is a link to her Frankenstein unit.  I could spend hours exploring her site. 
  • *Accidental English Teacher: This website is written by Cheryl, a longtime teacher.  She has lots of current practices and ideas throughout her blog.  This article about readicide hit home with me after reading the same books: Readicide by Kelly Gallagher and Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller.  This article about standards-based grading also resonated with me after discussing proficiency-based grading with my mentor teachers last semester.  In this article she talks about trying to find just the right balance between everything in an English class.  Each of her articles really resonates with struggles and ideas I have thought about in my own teaching. 
  • *Teaching 365: This is a really great blog written by an 8th grade teacher at an urban prep school.  There are some really awesome ideas and links for blogging with students, ideas about teaching reading and writing, and funny stories woven throughout. 
  • Mr. B-G's English Blog: This blog written by a high school English and journalism teacher has many ideas for teachers to use.  Go to the "English resources" page and you'll find many ideas for various novels and topics, including 1984, Brave New World, vocabulary, and poetry. 
  • Shakespeare in the Classroom: A TON of resources for teaching Shakespeare.
  • Evolving English Teacher:  This article about blackout poetry would be neat to incorporate into the classroom.  This  article about using poetry in the classroom, and this link to a book that inspires students.  
  • Empathic Teacher: Jennifer teaches upper high school English.  
  • The Real Deahl: This blog has lots of links and photos of worksheets from the classroom.  She has ideas about vocabulary, collaboration, AoW (article of the week), and LOTS of writing ideas. 
  • *The Hard Core English Teacher:  This blog has SOO many ideas.  Here are some of my favorite posts.  This article about the world's greatest Shakespeare play was interesting.  Research paper bingo is a brilliant idea.  This chart helps students who use the word "very" in their writing too much.  Fav books to teach is another list that made me want to create a list of my own.  
  • Learning from my mistakes: I discovered this blog when I read the post Preparing for the end, which gave various ideas for ending a novel.  She also included a hilarious rule guide for teaching Of Mice and Men that made me laugh and would cause students to tune in. 
  • Cool Cat Teacher blog recently changed to THIS new site.  Here are some of the older posts that I loved on the blogspot.  This post about using music in the classroom was inspiring.  I love listening to music, and I really want to discover how to weave music into my lessons.  This post mentions my favorite educational book: Teach like a Pirate.  One last post I loved talked about the challenges of teaching: paddle on.
  • Love, Teach: This blog is written by a four-year middle school teacher in an urban environment.  Her hilarious posts like, Things You Would Have Heard Me Say in my Classroom on Thursday and 7 Things You and I Both Need This Teacher Appreciation Week will leave you chuckling and nodding your head in agreement.  This post about what the students wrote to their African pen pals actually made me lol.  She also has good ideas like the raise the roof game and how to handle Valentines Day as a teacher.   
  • AJ Juliani: Lots of articles and thoughts on education.  
  • **Teach 4 Real:  This is one of my FAVORITE websites.  Matt Amaral is an English teacher in San Francisco.  I discovered his blog when I was looking up ideas and resources for Romeo and Juliet.  His site focuses on teaching in challenging urban schools, but there are SO MANY ideas and concepts that can be applied to all classrooms.  Take the time to explore his ideas, units and opinions.  Really good site.  
So there's a few resources to keep you all busy the next few months.  What are your favorite resources to use as an English teacher?  Any favorite people to follow on Twitter or Pinterest?  

No comments:

Post a Comment