Friday, July 25, 2014

the DR

What's coming up around the corner:  I will be moving to the Dominican Republic on August 12th.  When I tell people about my plans, it's still difficult for me to believe that I am setting off on another adventure abroad.  Kind of jokingly in September I started praying that a job opportunity would fall in my lap.  I had no idea where I wanted to teach.  I was unsure if I should be with middle schoolers or high schoolers.  I didn't know if I wanted to be close to home and my family, or a little further away in Oregon, or abroad somewhere.

My old elementary school teacher Ms. McD sent me this Facebook message:

Hi Hillary! Joy is looking for a teacher for three 6th/7th grade boys (American children of missionaries). I think it would be for a year or more and they would pay a living stipend. Would you or any other young teachers you know be interested? It seems like a great opportunity...

It brought a smile to my face that my past teacher thought of me.  And little did I know that conversation in February would point me in the direction of the DR for the year.  After corresponding back and forth with Joy, we set up an interview over Facetime.  I talked to Joy and Rosa (the other mom) for an hour in the spring.  They seemed to like me enough, because they offered me the job of teaching their boys!  It was such an amazing opportunity.  I get to travel, see another country, use my Spanish, grow in my faith, and teach.  

Andrew, Isaac, and Joseph will be my three students this year.  Andrew and Joseph are brothers, and they belong to Rosa.  Isaac is Joy's son.  I will be teaching them in English.  I'll have to figure out how to teach math, science, the history of the Dominican Republic, English, and Spanish grammar.  I'm excited and nervous.  It will be nice to only have to grade three sets of papers/hw/essays in comparison to the 110 students I had last spring, but I am sure the year will offer other challenges that I can't see coming now.  

From: here

I will be living in Santiago, one of the largest cities in the country.  I'll be living in an apartment with a roommate.  Amanda is from Indiana and has been living in the DR for the past six years.  She teaches at the girls school that Joy runs.  I am extremely happy I will have a roommate who knows the ropes and can answer my questions about life in the DR.  The upper right apartment is ours!  Two bedroom, one bath, and it has the cutest patio.

I've been talking to Amanda, and Corinne, another girl from my city that spent 16 days in the DR this past spring.  They both have such a love for the people and the country.  My excitement is growing every day.

Joy works for New Hope, or Nueva Esperanza.  It's a pretty incredible school for girls with a pretty incredible story.  They are in the process of expanding.  DONATE HERE to help them raise the funds needed.  READ HERE for more information about the amazing school.  Hopefully I'll be able to spend some time in the barrio while I'm in the DR.

So please please be praying for me as I set off on another adventure of a lifetime.  Pray that I can teach those boys to the best of my ability.  Pray they like me.  Pray that I can make a positive impact on their lives and the lives of people around me.  Pray for New Hope.  Pray they will raise the funds needed.  Pray for the families that I will be working for.  Pray for my roommate and I, that we would connect, learn, and grow together.  Pray that I make friends.  Pray that I do not feel alone when I am there.  Pray that I will not miss home and my family too much.  Pray that my Spanish improves drastically so I can understand the DR accent.  :)  Pray that God would reveal His will for my future.  Pray that I would learn and love each day.  Mi versiculo para el año: "Mira que te mando que te esfuerces, y seas valiente; no temas ni desmayes, porque yo el SEÑOR tu Dios estoy contigo en donde quiera que vayas." Josué 1:9

From: here

Excited for the journey to continue.  Keep reading for more information about my travels, teaching and what God's doing in my life.

Con mucho amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment