Wednesday, March 2, 2016

In a Galaxy Far, Far, Away...

What we've been learning:  We started 2016 with a unit about the planets and outer space.

I saw an idea on Pinterest over the summer to create pillowcases with the periodic table of elements labeled.  Although we weren't going to study chemistry, the idea stuck with me.  I wanted to incorporate decorating a pillowcase in some way.  Christin had special fabric markers that we used, and the boys each brought their own pillowcase to decorate.  They had to label the planets in order and try and draw them to scale-ish.  They turned out so different from each other.




Next, I had planned a super fun travel poster assignment for the boys.  I even spent several days making my own example.  They were each going to pick a planet and research information about the planet.  Then, they were going to make a travel poster convincing us to travel to their planet.  The boys informed me that they already knew about planets and had done a similar project in elementary school.  I felt really disappointed they didn't want to/had already done the project.


I wanted to incorporate art into the space unit.  Last year I felt like I did a better job including art in different assignments, but this year I have not.  As I was search on Pinterest I found this artist, Djuno Tomsni.  He does a nod to the 1970s with these vacation space images.  We created similar pieces of art.  I especially like Andrew's.  He has a family looking at a cable car on a snowy planet.  On the backside, he talked about how the family forgot their coats and wouldn't make that mistake again.  So creative.



The boys also created drawings about what life on space might look like.  I found this website with what communism might look like in outer space.  The images were so creative and detailed.  I remember when I was in elementary school I loved drawing intricate houses and towers and underground living spaces.  If I had more time, I would love to have them write stories to go along with their drawings.

I used the mystery bag pirate hook (blog post about it can be found here) and threw some astronaut food in a brown bag with a question mark on it.  I purchased the food at Michaels, the craft store, over the summer.  I saw it and knew the treat would be perfect for my boys.


The bags caught their attention as they spent several days guessing the contents.  Once they actually got to open the bags, they LOVED the freeze-dried ice cream sandwiches.  Before researching, they made predictions about how astronauts go to the bathroom, sleep, and what they do in their free time.  Then, they wrote papers about what life is like in space for astronauts.




Next is a unit on weather, storms, and hurricanes.  Any lesson plan ideas for those topics?

Con mucho amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment