Thursday, March 17, 2016

Superhero Writing

What we've been writing:  My mom got me these awesome superhero word magnets.  I wanted to figure out how to incorporate them into a writing assignment.  We also studied homophones this week.  I combined the two into a fun creative writing assignment.

The boys used the magnets as inspiration for their stories.  They loved making crazy sentences with the words.




Then, they wrote their stories and we also spent a day revising them together.  They were so excited to share what they wrote.  Andrew asked me, "We are sharing these, right?"  Here are their stories.

Avengers by Andrew

The most powerful heroes fight day and night, but what do they do in spring break? They go have fun at the beach or that’s what they thought. As Tony and Widow played volleyball the most unexpected thing happened. Angel and Superman came out flying from nowhere. Tony was astonished and worked fast to get his suit, but then he remembered that he forgot it at home. Angel was fighting Superman one-on-one, but that didn’t last long. Next thing Tony knew was that Angel was thrown at him, and he was knocked out. When he gained consciousness Black Widow and Wolverine were at each other’s throats.
All of the X-men which were made up of Marvel characters were fighting the DC’s. The battle was a hard one… for the X-men. “Those X-men people aren’t that strong and would only get in between us,” Superman announced. “The only X-men guys that put up a fight were Magneto and Wolverine. Like come on, one guy is immortal and the other can move metal with his mind. They’re the only ones that we consider the upper class of Marvel characters.” So with the weaker Marvel characters gone, the battle with DC was to finish that spring.

 (Two weeks later) The battle is still going on with the strongest of both sides still fighting. The fighters on Marvel are the Hulk, Wolverine, Venom, Loki, Magneto, DeadPool, HellBoy, and Thor. And the strongest of DC are Superman, Orion, DarkSeid, Wally West, Hal Jordon, and Doomsday. One after another even they started falling like fly’s. Loki and Thor the gods in Marvel were fighting Orion and Superman the gods in DC. For even the immortals from both sides were tired out. The gods battled it out until superman was thrown into a restaurant and landed into their supplies of mussels. Superman looked at the faces of the terrified people and then got up. He flew up to see the others fighting and with a voice so strong the flour on him came off, he got their attention and then pointed down to the city. Then the four gods looked around and saw the destruction they caused and from that day on they would never fight a war this big again.     

Captain America's Spring Break by Isaac 

Spring break starts and I decide to go relax before I have to fight in the Civil War. I drive to the beach with my brand new t-shirt, and Bucky tags a long with me. My head started hurting so I was too tired to go swim. I lie on the sand and see kids playing with mussels then I close my eyes. Suddenly I open them for a split second. I don’t see Bucky at my side, and I get up as fast as I can. I look around and see that no one is near. I don’t know what to do at first so I call out,
 “Bucky??” Of course no one answers. Just before I know it I hear gun shots nearby, and I grab my shield and take cover behind a lounge chair. Then I see that it’s Bucky so I smile and walk towards him with no fear. Bucky uppercuts my chin and I bite my tongue and fall to the ground bleeding.
 I’m confused. Why would he do such a thing? My tongue hurts so badly, but I manage to look up seeing Bucky with a gun pointing directly at me. Right when he’s about to shoot I lift my shield up and block it. I get up really fast and kick the gun out of his hand. Bucky took out his knife and threw it at my leg. It hit my leg, and it started to sting majorly. I took it out and threw it back, he blocked it with his metal arm and took out another gun and started shooting me. With great speed I lifted my shield up blocking all his shots. I summersaulted into the sand behind a boat on the shore.
Why was Bucky acting so queer? What happened to him? Slowly peeking over the boat I don’t see anyone. I slowly walk towards the exit of the beach, but when I reach the exit, Bucky is standing right there in front of me glaring at me. He punched my face and kicked my chest, and I fell to the ground. Grabbing my aching chest I groaned and managed to say,
“What are you doing?” He got on top of me and started to choke me like a bear. With one his other hand he was stabbing me with his knife on my leg. I tried to scream, but I couldn’t and before I knew it I was…
 “Steve, you okay there?” I opened my eyes, and I looked at Bucky who was looking at me in a strange way. Everything was perfectly fine I looked at my leg, and it was in perfect condition. Looks like I just had some messed up nightmare.
“I’m fine, “I said slowly with a small grin.


A Super Vacation by Joseph

Boom! Hulk crushed an alienbot. Hulk turned his head to the right and was already on his target before a penny could fall out of a pocket. Hulk crushed. Smashed. Crushed. Smashed.  They wouldn’t stop coming. Hulk didn’t want to admit it, but he needed help. He gave a very loud roar, and Thor was smashing bots with Thor. This still wasn’t enough power so Thor called Tony who was in his mansion in his Jacuzzi. Tony quickly put on his armor and flew to help. After a long time all the others superheroes arrived to fight.
A couple hours later the Avengers finally defeated all the bots. Hulk was still ready for some action. Everyone else including Thor was very tired. The Avengers all sat at Stark Industries resting. Hulk was outside at the work out gym. He was carrying 10 tons of metal. Meanwhile the others were relaxing. Tony finally got up and said,
“You know we fight crime too much. We could use a break.”
 Thor got up and said, “What about Hulk? I think we all know Hulk can’t stop smashing.”
Tony replied, “Well, we could always ask if he would want to relax on a big boat. That ought to get him quiet.”
Thor then said, “Well who is going to keep the city protected?”
Tony replied simply and said, “Well I guess I’ll just have to turn on all of my iron man suits and put them on auto pilot.”
Everyone stopped and stared at Tony who was sipping coffee. All of the Avengers said together, “You can do that.”
Tony simply said, “yes” and started telling them about how he has accomplished getting so much power for his suits. Slowly the Avengers left their seats so they wouldn’t have to hear him speak.
A day later the Avengers were on a private cruise. Hulk had his anti-smash room. Thor’s room was near the generator were he kept it powered up. Everyone else was doing their own thing. After a week of vacation Black Widow received a call from Nick Fury. It said that the city was under attack, and the iron men suits have failed. The Avengers rushed to the city of New York, but there was nothing there but ruins.  This is why superheroes can’t waste their time having vacation when on the job. Sadly they’re always on the job.   



How are you incorporating student passions into the classroom?  What are you doing to inspire student writing?

Con mucho amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment