Friday, March 4, 2016

Stepping up my Math Game - Part II

What I've been teaching:  January was a really crazy month for me, and I felt like I was just barely getting by with my lesson plans and grading.  Math is the subject that I am not super passionate about, so it often is the first to turn "boring."  Here's the link to Part I of improving math class from last semester.

Two weeks ago I decided I need to incorporate more projects and games again.  We started off by playing exponent bingo.  I pulled the idea from Teachers Pay Teachers, but I created my own bingo boards.  The boys love playing games, and this was a great way for them to practice exponents.  I also found this awesome puzzle to use with scientific notation.  If I had more time, I would have loved to incorporate scientific notation with our space unit in Science, but I didn't get around to doing that part.

This week we started Geometry.  I found this blog on Pinterest that I used for inspiration.  We learned about different kind of lines and incorporated them into name drawings.

The next day we studied obtuse, straight, acute, and right angles.  We used yarn to show that we knew the different types of angles.  They make fun decorations in the classroom, and it provides an opportunity for the boys to be creative and use their artistic sides.  I used this yarn idea combined with this paper collage to create the assignment that the boys and I did.




What creative ideas are you using in math?

Con mucho amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment