Wednesday, April 20, 2016

1920s

What we've been learning:  I have always wanted to teach The Great Gatsby.  It was one of my favorite novels in high school, but unfortunately I have never had the opportunity.  My love for the 1920s came out during my US History unit on the time period.

We started off learning about how they talked during that time period.  I printed off a list of jazz age vocabulary.  First, the boys drew illustrations for six of the terms.  They loved doing this and even included a comic strip story in some of them and hidden messages for readers to discover.  I love it when they take my ideas and make them ten times better.


Then, they wrote dialogues using ten of the vocabulary words and presented them in class.

They did research about the positives and negatives of the time period.  They looked up information separatley and then came together to make a poster with the positives and negatives of the time period.


The boys presented their poster and vocabulary drawings to the girls, because we had a big 1920s murder mystery party to end the unit.

In December my family did a similar party for New Year's Eve.  We used Shot in the Dark Mysteries to purchase the package.  Christin and I bought a similar one set in the 1920s.

We spent all Tuesday night this week decorating the apartment and getting treats for the evening.





Wednesday was the big party day.  Everyone showed up in costumes, and we had an awesome time taking pictures and trying to figure out who killed Dahlia. We also spoke like they did in the 1920s.  "Who bumped off the dumb dora?"  Photo credit for these pictures below to the lovely Helina.







Making history come alive will help my students to never forget what they learned.  How are you making textbooks burst to life?


Con mucho amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment