Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Costa Rica Trip #5

Where I've been:  Just like last year, I flew to Costa Rica during Semana Santa.  This year was extra special, though, because my parents and sister joined me there.  By the grace of God, Krysta and I had the same week of spring break.  We decided to take advantage of the awesome coincidence and show mom and dad around Costa Rica.  It was a busy week, but such a blessing that we got to spend it together exploring a country I love.

San Ramon:  Our first stop was San Ramon, the town where my host family lives.  We got to spend time with the teacher I helped back in 2012.  Her name is Cristina, and she even brought her new baby.  It was so fun to catch up and see her.  While we were waiting for her, we explored the central park and got my favorite Cosechas milkshakes and smoothies.




We ate dinner at my host family's house, and it was such a dream for my real family to meet my Costa Rican family.



I also got to bring my parents to my church in San Ramon.  I was trying to translate the sermon, and my parent's got to see a baptism.

After church we went to my friend Lucy's house with KFC for lunch.  It was a nice time laughing and sharing with people I love.

Arenal:  We spent our first day at the volcano hiking around the national park and the hanging bridges park.  It is very humid in the rain forest.  We were sweating bullets as we adventured through the parks.  We didn't get to see much wildlife except for a few snakes and lizards.  I kept asking the park maintenance people if they had seen any sloths or monkeys that day, but no one had.






Flat Stanley also joined us on our journey.  This is the second time I've gotten Flat Stanley.  We found this mini replica of the hanging bridges that was just his size!





Although the trees and forest were beautiful, my favorite part was soaking in the hot springs.  My first and third trip to Costa Rica I went to "hot springs," but they weren't very warm.  This pool was huge, and it felt so lovely.  My mom, dad, and sister said it was too warm, but I could have spent another few days floating in the warm water.


We got to see some amazing wildlife on our way from Arenal to Tamarindo.  Although it was a long drive, it was one of my favorite parts of the week.  It made me realize the beauty in Costa Rica.





Tamarindo:  Unfortunately we picked the busiest and craziest week of the year to travel in Costa Rica.  Most of the beaches were so crowded, but we went to Bahia de los Piratas, a beach my host brother has taken me to several times.



We spent lots of time walking around the town, eating yummy food, and relaxing in the condo.





Monte Verde:  This was my first real time in Monteverde, and I loved it.  I wished we had spent more time here.  The weather was much cooler than the 90+ degree heat in Tamarindo.  We stayed at an amazing lodge with beautiful gardens and hammocks.





We also did ziplining in Monteverde.  It was my fifth time doing ziplining, and this one was the craziest and most intense.  We had to hike up a mountain and two of the lines we were hooked up on our backs.  It was one of the most terrifying things I have ever done.  There was also a tarzan swing, which I did not think I would do.  I got suited up just to check and see, but before I knew it the door was open and I was free falling.  My throat hurt so much from screaming, but I guess God knew I needed to work on taking some steps of faith.




San Jose:  My sister studied abroad in Costa Rica for a month, and she still keeps in contact with one of the girls from her program.  On my parent's last night we attempted to go to the National Theater and a market, but everything was closed for Semana Santa.  We ended up going to a little coffee shop and talking with her.


\
San Ramon:  My last day in Costa Rica was awesome.  I got to spend it with all the people I love.  We ate, and talked, and laughed, and shared.






Every time I leave Costa Rica I have this feeling I will be back soon.  What places are pulling on your heartstrings?  Where is God calling you to go?



Con mucho amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment