Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Paper towel and a stone

What I've been doing:  Last weekend I went to the capital for a women's conference with my church.  We left Friday afternoon, spent 3.5 long hours in traffic, and arrived right on time on Friday evening.  The theme of the conference was idols of the heart.


I used to think, oh those stories from the Old Testament don't apply to us anymore.  I don't know many people who have gold cows in their house that they worship.  But we do have many things in our lives that we think about and focus on more than we think about and focus on God.


One of the most convicting things from the weekend was a question the speaker asked.  She said, what do you spend your time talking about?  That is where your heart is.  What do you talk about most?  Work?  Money?  Shopping?  School?  Boyfriends?  Drinking?  Sports?

The second day of the conference the speaker drove in the point that we are BELOVED DAUGHTERS OF THE KING.  What would our lives look like if we really lived out that truth every day of our lives?


So what do paper towels and rocks have to do with anything?  Well here's a little story about obedience.  I share this not to pat  myself on the back.  I share this story to encourage you to bless someone else's day.  Do something so tiny.  You will never know the eternal impact that little act of kindness will have on the world.

Saturday we stopped at a mall on our way back to Santiago after the conference.  My roommate and I had to go to the bathroom, so we left our stuff with one of the ladies, Julissa.  I had never met her before the weekend, but it was fun to laugh and get to know her during the conference.  She is one of the funniest people I've met in the DR.  When we asked her if we could leave our bags with her while we went to the bathroom, she said, "Bring me back something."  Christin and I started laughing.

"Bring you back something from the bathroom?"  She just smiled and laughed as we walked away.

Well, I thought it would be funny to take a paper towel and rip it into the shape of a heart to give to her.  I made her close her eyes and open her hands.  She was extremely hesitant to do it since we had just come from the bathroom.  She was laughing and squeeling as she tried to decide whether or not to trust us.

When she saw the crumpled paper towel, opened it and saw that it was a heart, she laughed.

Our group from Vida Nueva

Sunday morning I decided to write her a little note and give her a love rock at church.  (For more about love rocks - read here.)  It was something so simple and so little.

Yesterday I get a message from the pastor's wife, Kelly.  Kelly said that Julissa showed her the little rock and note.  Kelly said that Julissa has blessed someone else because of my little blessing.  That other person asked Kelly about me and said she wanted to meet me.  I thought, wow, we really never realize the impact of our small, simple acts of obedience to God.  We never realize how He is going to use those to encourage or bless others.


This little Youtube video shows the ripples of kindness perfectly.

What are you doing for others?  How can you share God's love in a simple way today?

Con mucho amor.

No comments:

Post a Comment